Thursday, April 22, 2010

The magic of ordinary days

Several years ago I read a book titled "The Magic of Ordinary Days." I don't remember who wrote it or that it was a particularly life-changing story, but I do remember the title. It seems like my life is filled with ordinary days. Not in a bad, "my life is so miserable and dull" sort of way (I'm not writing this post for the sake of complaining or venting), just in a "not a lot changes from day-to-day" sort of way. I get up in the morning, go to work, come home, and start over the next day. I'm not a horrible pharmacist but I don't consider myself to be amazingly outstanding at my job either. I can be very impatient, easily frustrated, and I feel like there are days where every ounce of compassion is sucked out of me like a date with a dementor. I love working with the Young Women at church, but I wonder if everything I ever say to them goes in one ear and out the other. I am very grateful for the opportunity I have to plan Trek this year, but in so doing I feel like every one of my weaknesses and insecurites is staring me blatantly right in the face (if you ever need a good laugh, ask me about the borderline nervous breakdown I had last week because I couldn't schedule the cultural hall at the church for a Trek mutual activity. If ever you need verification of your own sanity, this should do the trick). Don't get me wrong, I love my ordinary life. I've never been the type that feels jealous of celebrities or powerful people. There is comfort in predictability and ambiguity. The trick is finding the magic in ordinary days. I'm not always good at it, but I'm trying. I have experiences at work almost every day where the little things I do or say make someone's day. I've seen many YW I've worked with grow into beautiful, amazing women. Trek may be the death of me, but I have a wonderful support system of friends and neighbors who are willing to help me out with planning and preparations. And just yesterday I got to hear the beautiful sound of a tiny heartbeat belonging to a life growing inside of me. THAT was a magical sound that I've been waiting a long time to hear. Not to mention the fact that every single ordinary day I get to be married to a wonderful man.
Speaking of the wonderful man, here is a picture of us taken last week during a hike to the Battle Creek waterfall in Pleasant Grove (I'm embarrassed to admit that it's been so long since I've posted a picture on my blog that I almost forgot how to plug my camera into the computer...maybe when the baby comes in October I'll actually turn in to a good blogger...I guess only time will tell).

14 comments:

Jenn said...

Lindsay!! Congratulations! I love how you don't announce your pregnancy straight out, but work it into the rest of your "ordinary days." :) I'm so happy for you. You will be a wonderful Mom, and October is my dream month to have a baby for some reason (maybe because I love the fall). I'm so happy for you!

Teagan said...

WOW...that is magic. I have chills right now. Congratulations. You and Carl are going to be the coolest parents. I am super happy for you both. Hooray.

Stacey said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Jenny said...

OH Lindsay, I am SOOOO Happy for you and Carl. Seriously, I am crying straight out right now. That is such wonderful news. You are such a beautiful person and you and Carl will be such wonderful parents.

How are you feeling? I *HOPE that you are feeling well. I'll give you a call in the next few weeks when I get a chance. Love you guys!!

Ashley said...

I totally love how you described the ordinary days. I couldn't have said it better.
And I'm so happy for you!

Sister Tara Bowen said...

Horray! Beautifully written, and I am so happy for you. I do want to hear about the nervous breakdown:).

Megan said...

You are so tricky!!! I almost missed the "heartbeat" comment! How fantastic! I am sooooo excited for you. The time is going to fly, and yet be the longest time ever, so hold on for quite the ride!

Erin said...

Congratulations! I am so excited for you and Carl! Tell Carl that Matt says congratulations too :)

Decker and Christine said...

Congratulations!!!!! Fantastic news!!!

p.s. the Young Women hear EVERYTHING you say. Be careful. :)

Chrissy said...

Congrats to you and Carl. This is going to be a most, unordinary time of your life with a baby!! love you guys!!

MaryAnn said...

Yay Lindsay! Such wonderful news that you got to hear that little heartbeat! I am so so so happy for you guys!

Valerie said...

Lindsay, you are amazing to be doing all your doing- especially while you're pregnant! Congratulations and I'm so over the moon happy for you guys. Can't wait to see you at the end of May so we can really celebrate!

The Durfee Family said...

Congratulations! That is so exciting for you guys! You are going to make awesome parents! And by the way, you were one of my favorite young woman's leaders! You influenced me so much and I really looked up to you, I still do so thank you for being my young woman's leader and being a great example to me! And congrats again!!

Candace said...

wow, I loved that post. Mostly because I can relate to everything you said. I love being a mom, but sometimes the monotony of my days really gets to me. And I look at successful women like you, and can't help but feel a little jealous. So, Thank you so much for sharing. I hope I remember that title. Its so true!

And CONGRATULATIONS!! We're so happy for you and Carl!