Simply because I have nothing better to blog about, here are a few things I love right now:
Dave Ramsey- For those of you who don't know, Dave Ramsey is a financial guru whose main goal is to get Americans out of debt. He has a radio show that broadcasts (at least in Utah) in the evenings from 7:00 to 10:00 (go to www.DaveRamsey.com for more info). Carl and I really started on his plan about 9 months ago and I can't even begin to tell you how much it has helped. We cut up the credit cards, completely paid off my student loans, and paid for a 3 week trip to Europe WITH CASH in part from Dave's help. We started living on a budget, and although we don't always stick perfectly to the budget, I know where every penny goes every month. It is great to have control over your money. He wrote a book called "The Total Money Makeover" which is well worth reading. I have a copy if anybody wants to borrow it. In fact, I have lots of copies. This past December he was running a special on his books and Carl and I bought a whole bunch to start giving away as wedding presents. Yes, I know we are dorks. In the next 6 months we hope to have our 6 month emergency fund saved and start paying down the mortgage. Wish us luck!
E-Mealz- About a month ago Carl and I started using www.e-mealz.com to help with our meal planning (for the record, we heard about E-Mealz from Dave Ramsey's show). It costs $5 per month but you have to pay for 3 months at a time. Each week we go to the website and it gives us our meal plan (with recipes) and grocery list for that week. There are several different plans to choose from but you can only choose one. You choose how large your family is and what grocery store you shop at. We use the low-fat Wal-Mart meal plan for two. For the first time in my 8 & 1/2 year marriage I actually enjoy cooking. I always know there is something to cook for dinner and my grocery budget has actually gone down.
Jazzercise- When I'm not working Monday, Wednesday, or Friday mornings I attend a Jazzercise class at one of the church houses in town. I thoroughly enjoy it. The instructor's name is Esther and she is so much fun. We joke that we need our "Esthercise." I'm not the most consistent attendee, but I try to go as much as possible.
The fact that January is over- Many of you know how much I loathe January. Well, not only is January over but February is almost over too. That means Spring is on the way!!
Planning for Trek- Every four years our stake takes the 14-18 year olds up to Martin's Cove, Wyoming for a trek experience. This year is a trek year and Carl and I were called as the Ward Trek Coordinators. This means that we will coordinate all of the Trek preparations for our ward and that we get to go with the youth and act as a "Ma and Pa." It will be a lot of work but I am so excited for the experience. It has the possibility to be life changing.
The Olympics- Ever since the Olympics came to Salt Lake in 2002, I have loved watching the Olympics. This year is no exception. I have really enjoyed watching these games in Vancouver. In a way I am kind of relieved they are almost over though. I need to get my life back!
Thanks for reading this indulgent post! If the joy is found in the journey, than I am doing my best to find it.
6 comments:
Sounds great. And I want to borrow your book when I'm in town. While I read your comments about it, I thought, "Yeah, but you guys make a lot more than we do..." but I'm willing to read it anyway and see if it helps us out. I'll be in town next weekend. Can I see you for a bit on Saturday?
I LOVE jazzercize. I was in a class in High School and then after my mission. It was always so much fun and what a good work out!
I love your post! Its so fun getting this glimpse of your life and what makes you happy. Yay for the little things that make such a big difference! I might have to check out your meal planner-- sounds pretty great. I always have hopes for my weekly meal planning but it rarely fully materializes. And, as for Dave, got to love what he is trying to help us do. I think I need a re-read to get motivated again. Can't wait to see you in May!!!
I've been listening to Dave Ramsey every night on the way home from school and I find him interesting. I would love to borrow a copy! Also I would love to see you soon! Miss you xoxo
Oh fun! I have been able to go play Volleyball with my Singles ward every other Tuesday and the Stake tournament every Thursday Through the Beginning of April! :P I wish it would go all year round! Cause I Love Volleyball! It's probably my second favorite sport after Swimming! ;) hehehe! Yeah, I've heard of David Ramsey, he sounds interesting. :D
LOVE Dave Ramsey, LOVE that book! Great idea for wedding presents!
Post a Comment