Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A Trip Down Memory Lane

My last day of clinical rotations EVER is tomorrow and it is hard to believe that 8 years of higher education are almost complete. The last 4 years of pharmacy school feel like a dream in a way. All of the lectures, exams, late nights, and early mornings are a blur...I wonder if that is a coping mechanism of some sort. Ten years from now I might not remember that if you add a halogen to the ring structure of a TCA it increases serotonin selectivity, but I will remember the good memories (in spite of the stress there were some good times), and the people that I met along the way. Here is a glimpse of the good times:

Disclaimer: This post will likely be painfully boring for everyone in the world except me. I won't fault you if you decide not read further.

My first semester of pharmacy started with the white coat ceremony. Here is me, Carl, and Grandma Darylene afterwards.
The summer following first year I attended a weeklong seminar hosted by the U on alcoholism and drug abuse. I received elective credit for attending and overall it was a great experience. This is me and a few of my classmates on the last day.

Later that same summer I volunteered as a counselor at a summer camp for kids with diabetes (I received elective credit for this as well). This is me at dinner with the girls in my cabin.

The camp was held near Tooele and one day during the week they bussed us into town to the waterpark. This is me with my classmates Andrea and JulieAnn. Julie is one of my best friends in pharmacy school...without her I would likely be in a straight jacket in a padded room somewhere.


During third year I was in charge of organizing the 4th Annual University of Utah College of Pharmacy Easter Egg Hunt for Children with Diabetes (try saying that 5 times fast). Walgreens sponsored the event and the kids and their siblings received lots of sugar-free candy and toys. We had a good turnout, great weather, and lots of volunteer support. This may have been the most stressful endeavor I undertook in pharmacy school, but also the most rewarding.

This is a picture of the kids crowding around the toy table. They received little tickets in their eggs and were able to redeem them here. We also had clowns, magicians, face-paintings, and pictures with the Easter Bunny.


Carl and I attended a random assortment of get-togethers and holiday parties with my classmates. It was always nice to spend time outside of class with my friends from school and their significant others. There were only 45 of us in the program, so after 4 years you get to know each other pretty well. This picture was taken at a Christmas party (I don't recall if it was 1st or 2nd year). We had a gingerbread house contest....

...and a white elephant gift exchange. The box in the middle of this picture contains a live rooster. I don't remember laughing so hard in my life at the expression on the face of the person who opened this box.

We finished all of our classwork last April before beginning clinical rotations. Pharmacy school would not be complete without burning three years worth of lecture notes over a bonfire and then roasting marshmallows over it.


Last but not least, pharmacy school would definitely not be complete without getting together and hitting a pinata representing our least favorite professors (wow! this post makes us all look so violent. I promise it was all done in fun and that we are not a group of malicious future pharmacists! I guess everybody needs to burn off steam once in a while). Phung, the girl in my class who brought the pinata, couldn't find one with a white coat on so an Elvis in a white suit holding a counting spatula had to suffice. This is Jake, my friend who hosted the event (which actually took place last Saturday), holding the pinata. If you ever read this Jake I apologize in advance for posting your picture on my blog but your face says it all.
A group picture taken after the pinata bashing...

Now that pharmacy school is over it is fun to remember the good times. Thanks for the memories!

6 comments:

Decker and Christine said...

Hey! I know that cabin in Tooele!!! That's where I was a counselor at Camp Hobe. I think it's the exact same thing as the diabetes camp, except the kids had cancer. Ah, that sends me on a trip down memory lane of my own...Thanks for the pics!

Jenny said...

WOW Lindsay, way to go!!! That's so awesome that you are finally, officially done!!! I wish I was there with you!! Just one more year...

What are your celebatory plans? Hope you enjoy every minute of your well deserved break and official "Pharm. D." initials!

Ritch in Love said...

Good job!! Congratulations!! I'm extremely impressed with your dedication.

Just Us said...

Wow! Congrats Lindsay! I am seriously impressed! Anyone that can make it through that much schooling not only deserves to beat pinatas and burn school notes, but they also deserve a long vacation. Hope you get one soon! You should be so proud. :)

Kelsey said...

I thought this post was very interesting! You have done a lot in the last 4 years - way to go!!! Congratulations to both you and Carl on your graduations. You're going to go crazy with all your free time!

Valerie said...

Way to go Lindsay! There's nothing better than burning things and I can't say that I haven't wanted to beat a pinata representing a professor one or two times. We should get together soon and celebrate!